Friday 23 September 2011

The Marne 2014

Mark Forster writes:

I mentioned at last night's Circle Meeting that I had had an idea for raising funds for charities, to include Catenian charities. I have recently returned from the Commemoration of the 97th Anniversary of the First Battle of the Marne in France, and it has struck me that in three years time it will be the 100th Anniversary. I am sure the French authorities, who keep this commemoration going faithfully year by year, will make a really big thing of the 100 year mark.

My idea is to do a sponsored walk over the entire route which my former unit, the 1st Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers took during the Retreat from Mons, followed by the Advance to the Aisne. My idea is only in the very first stages of development at present, but I am hoping I can get the support of the military and civil authorities in France as well as my own former regiment. I have already got one new recruit, Bro. Mike Newman, who has enlisted as my batman for the duration!

Here is the map of the route taken from the regimental history. I have marked the retreat phase in red and the advance phase in green. Click on the image to see more detail.


Below is a photograph of the British Army monument at La Ferté sous Jouarre, showing the Mayor and other local dignitaries with our party and French standard bearers. The British War Memorial bears the names of over 3,000 members of the BEF who fell at Mons, the Retreat from Mons, Le Cateau, Marne and Aisne who have no known grave.  



Finally here is a link to a French video of the main commemoration at Mondement, where the main memorial to the battle of the Marne is situated.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkxlbo_commemoration-de-la-premiere-bataille-de-la-marne_news

If you want to skip the speeches in French, an extract from the leader of the British contingent's address is at 05.54



No comments:

Post a Comment