Friday 23 March 2012

View from the Verandah

View from the verandah
While Anneli holds the fort so well, your Editor is busy doing nothing in the Queensland outback - the little town of Springsure to be exact - waiting for his daughter to produce his second grandchild.

The first thing that happened here after we arrived was a race meeting organized by the local Catholic church for the whole community - yes, real horses, not battery powered ones! Everyone in the area attended and they were all dressed up to the nines - the women as for a wedding, the men in smart Akubra hats.

I think it must be the friendliest place on earth. Everyone knows my daughter, who is the local physio, and I can't go anywhere without getting into conversation with someone.

The cliff at the right of the hills in the distance is called The Virgin's Rock, because there is a rock formation which looks exactly like the Madonna and child. As you'll have gathered the Catholic presence is strong here.

Thinking of you all!

3 comments:

  1. That is certainly one amazing view, Mark. Very best wishes to your daughter for a safe birth and congratulations on your impending second-granddadhood!

    BTW the incoming President tells me he has lots of duties and assignments lined up for his new Vice-P as soon as you step off the plane home... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes. Our grand daughter was born at 2 a.m. this morning (24th). Mother and daughter doing well.

    I think I've got two weeks' grace after I step off the plane home, haven't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, and a big welcome to the new little girl!! Lots of prayers for you all. I'm sure that comes from the whole Circle.

    ReplyDelete